Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ditko Archives v3 debuts at TCAF! May is "31 Days of Ditko"

My latest book, Mysterious Traveler: The Steve Ditko Archives v3, is making its debut in my hometown of Toronto this weekend at the Toronto Comic Arts Festival. The festival goes both days (admission is free!) and is located at Toronto Reference Library (on Yonge St, just above Bloor St). I'll be at the show from 2:30pm to 3:30pm, so if you see me, I'll be happy to sign your copy.

I am very excited about this release because it really is Ditko at the beginning of his peak that ran from 1957 until the mid-to-late 1960s. This volume also features a never-been-published Ditko drawing from 1959, plus more unpublished musings to a fan by Ditko from that year.

Want to see the book in action? Check out this video preview of the book, and here's an 18-page .pdf preview. You cannot beat Ditko on his two 1950s signature titles: Tales of the Mysterious Traveler and This Magazine is Haunted and this volume has tons of both!

How/When to Buy
  • Should be in comic-book stores next Wed May 9.
  • Should be in bookstores and on Amazon.com week of May 14.
  • Pre-order now from Amazon.com at 38% the cover price for a limited time.

What is "31 Days of  Ditko?"
To celebrate the release of this volume, I'll be posting a new blog entry everyday in the month of May. And not just some cheesy, 140-character tweet, but some good, hardcore never-before-seen-on-this-blog stuff that'll blow your mindhole. Follow me on Twitter and watch for the hashtag #31DaysOfDitko to get even more tidbits or join the Steve Ditko Archives Facebook group that houses lots of original material. To get us started with 31 Days of Ditko, here's a hummer from Kelly Sue DeConnick and Neil Gaiman...

Ringo Starr enjoys the taste of Ditko
That's the image we used for my Unexplored Worlds: The Steve Ditko Archives v2, seen here as a U.K. reprint in the 1960s from publisher Alan Class who reprinted a lot of Ditko Charlton and Marvel work under different titles...

2 comments:

  1. Great fan of Alan Class. Their interior print quality was horrible but goddamn they had variety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm enjoying Vol #3, but I'm interested in our different readings of "I made a Volcano". I always thought the old guy was supposed to be Hitler, somehow escaped from Berlin along the 'ratlines', hiding South America and disorientated. It looks to me that someone, not Ditko, extended the mustache in the final panel. I'm no Hitler expert, but it's hard to make sense of "To destroy the old and corrupt is necessary if we are to build the new and the strong." in panel three, unless it's meant to be clue to the speaker's identity. I readily accept that there is a lot in these old Charlton stories that doesn't make much narrative sense.

    ReplyDelete